(Présentement, le texte de cette page est disponible seulement en anglais)
(Please note this program is no longer being offered)
- Applications for this award must be received by HSFO no later than March 15.
- Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. on the deadline date.
- If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, HSFO must receive the application by 4:00 p.m. on the previous Friday.
- Applications RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE will be considered late even if they are courier-stamped on the deadline date.
- HSFO reserves the right to DECLINE LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS.
In memory of John D. Schultz, a former President of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario, who served for fifteen years as a Director and was President from 1975 to 1978, the Board of Directors has established a scholarship to allow university science students to spend three months in the summer in a cardiovascular and/or cerebrovascular research environment.
Approximately forty scholarships will be available annually in Ontario for students enrolled in university science programs, to introduce them to the field of medical research during the summer. The scholarships are valued at $4,000.00 for a period of three months.
Students enrolled in a university undergraduate science program and who have obtained a high academic standing may apply. The research project should be in the field of cardiovascular and/or cerebrovascular disease. This scholarship is not intended for students enrolled in Medical School.
Applications for these awards (one original plus one complete copy) should be made for the student by the scientist who agrees to supervise the student, and should be and sent to:
HEART AND STROKE FOUNDATION OF ONTARIO
Research, Advocacy and Health Promotion
Attention: John D. Schultz Science Student Scholarship
2300 Yonge Street, Suite 1300
Toronto, Ontario M4P 1E4
Tel: (416) 489-7111 ext. 422
Fax: (416) 489-7003
Applications are due March 15 each year for a scholarship starting June 1. Note, if the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, HSFO must receive the applications by 4:00 p.m. on the previous Friday. Each scientist should submit an application for one student only. The student should select one supervisor only to submit an application on their behalf. A scientist should not undertake the supervision of a member of their immediate family.
ONE ORIGINAL AND ONE COPY (TOTAL 2) of the full application package are to be submitted to HSFO by March 15. The complete application must include:
- Completed Application Form (refer to Forms section below).
- All applicants must submit a copy of their official undergraduate transcripts. For students in their first year, statements from professors indicating the student’s current standing in courses not completed at the time of application should be provided.
- A statement by the supervisor about the research project including project title that the student will be working on (limited to one typed page, single spaced). The supervisory statement should include a clear description of the role of the student in the research project and the benefits of the research experience to the student.
- Details of current on-going grant funding and/or personnel support held by the supervisor.
- A short letter (limited to one page, single spaced) from the student describing their summer employment experience, awards received, involvement in extracurricular activities, their objectives in applying for a summer research scholarship and their plans for further education.
Applications will be assessed using the following criteria:
- applicant’s academic standing
- research project
- research environment
- applicant’s extracurricular activities and awards
At the completion of the scholarship, awardees are required to forward a final report to HSFO no later than September 15 in the year that the scholarship is held. Please see Forms section below to access the final reporting template.
The following documents are available as a MS Word document or as a PDF (Portable Document Format) file. Please note that to access the PDF file you will need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. Please visit the AdobeSystems Incorporated site to obtain your free copy.